Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Monday Night's Cuban Kitchen

Tonight for dinner I went with a Cuban theme. I'm always trying to come up with new flavors, new ideas that keep things interesting. Trader Joe's sells Cuban Black Beans ready to go. Easy peasy! I love that. Sure, I could soak black beans, then cook them, and probably make fifteen pounds for what I paid for the two cans - but sometimes it's a jarred pasta sauce night, you know? I never advocate for taking longer in the kitchen than absolutely necessary. Some short cuts are perfectly acceptable and absolutely delicious.

To accompany our cuban black beans (which have sea salt, lime, and cilantro, I believe), I made a coconut rice in the rice cooker. It was one can of coconut milk plus one and a half cups of water (for a total of 3 cups of liquid) added to a cup and a half of rice, plus 1/3 cup of sugar (optional). I kept a close eye on it, because it can scorch at the bottom with the sugar added - but there's just something weird about having coconut and it NOT being sweet.

On the side, we were supposed to have a ripe mango, but when I cut into it, it was brown. We were all very disappointed. However, a huge victory in the avocado department. I always buy three when I need two, because it's virtually guaranteed that one will be brown inside. I go for a slightly hard avocado and let it ripen on the counter for two to three days, which works well for us. Last night - aha! All three were fantastic!! My third daughter was gleeful and ate a whole avocado by herself (a favorite since infancy).

Always making an effort to try new produce, we decided to use a recipe in my new cookbook and have plantains. One ripened faster than the other, so we got a good mix of some that were sweet and some that were more savory. Everyone liked them except #3, who would much rather have another avocado. Dad was surprised at the taste, which we expected to be more banana-y, but was deliciously squash-like, slightly sweet, slightly savory. I squirted some fresh lime juice and a bit of sea salt on them out of the pan and it really heightened the sweetness inside. We'll do this more often!

For this photo, we have #4's plate - she's just 3, so she doesn't get a whole lot. The contrast of spicy beans, creamy avocado, and sweet rice made for a perfect meal!


Now, I don't normally make dessert. Growing up, my Grandma made it every night. I lived with her for several years and I am still in awe of her abilities as a cook. After a great, balance dinner, we would always have a freshly-baked dessert. Many nights it was pie, and it ran the gamut - everything from coconut custard to lemon chiffon (my personal favorite). She made cakes with the staple Dream Whip frosting and many recipes seemed to favor Jell-O products heavily. Since my girls can't have artificial coloring, I have to really do it from scratch, which means more kitchen time. Now, don't get me wrong. I love food, I love cooking. But, sometimes - with a toddler and preschooler underfoot - I don't love it as much.

Baking something like cake, which isn't something we should have every day anyway, is something I reserve for birthdays and special occasions. But, today, since Daddy was home, I indulged them a little and made coconut cupcakes. The frosting is non-hydrogenated shortening by Spectrum, which was accidentally purchased in mass quantity last winter, topped with some of the remaining shaved coconut in the pantry. I love using my Pampered Chef icing gun for cupcakes. We had a cup of Peet's decaf as well, which cut the sweetness perfectly.

No comments: