Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day

In honor of the good St. Pat, we are celebrating at home today with a few green goodies.

Breakfast was strawberry-lime yogurt parfaits with hot cross buns (a la Panera - or Bread Co for the locals). I don't bake at 7AM. Ever. I leave that to the professionals (or, in this case, the machines).

For lunch, we had a trio of Kerrygold cheeses. The girls didn't like "the dark one" - they were all white, but okay. We had them with, what else, green apples! I mixed a concoction of green smoothie with lemon lime soda (that has to be the ultimate bit of health food blasphemy, no?). They went for it. Something about "lucky leprechaun" makes everything taste good.

Once we wrapped up lunch, I started prepping tonight's desserts. We did a cook-along for you. There are several variations on Key Lime Pie out there. Growing up, I loved lemon meringue and lemon chiffon. They were my favorite and my Grandma didn't make it very often - but she would for my birthday. I haven't had her lemon meringue pie in years, but she still does occasionally make lemon chiffon. I decided to try the same variation with our key lime pies. So, here you have a key lime pie - baked - with meringue and a second pie, a no-bake with whipped cream and egg whites folded in - key lime chiffon. I always use pasteurized shell eggs when they won't be cooked entirely.

Here's to you. Drink a pint with me this evening.

3 comments:

M. said...

Omg, that looks so good.

Growing in the Green said...

OH MY HEAVENS. your kids are lucky to have osmeone so fun as you on a green holiday! And the food...oh my goodness it looks to good to be true! I gotta make this

Shannon Fowler-Wardrep said...

I think a certain someone needs to broadcast a cooking show from the comfort of her own home....

Wowza! (and that green food coloring is amazing)