Monday, March 3, 2008

Brunch

On rare occasions, when Daddy is home in the morning, we make a big brunch. This weekend we were out of coffee and had to visit our local roaster and artisan bakery. The couple who owns the shop are some of my favorite people. I admire all they've accomplished just in the last five years. What was once a little stand at the Farmer's Market, giving out free cups of delicious coffee to the visitors, has become quite an accomplished business. Nearly all of their coffee is fair trade and organic, which is something we like to support (particularly with the volume of beans brewed in this house).

Today we're brewing the Breakfast Blend. We've cycled through a few different blends from Goshen, and have yet to be disappointed in a single cup. Our Capresso is a happy machine and we are happy campers. John also bought a loaf of their cinnamon brioche, knowing my love of all things eggy and bready. Matt, the oracle, commented to him, "Is there french toast in your future?"

Oh, Matt. If only you knew.

Today's brunch consisted of cinnamon brioche french toast a la Daddy. Having gone to the store in search of new produce, my oldest begged for Candy Apple Bananas (the mini Hawaiian variety). Yet, once again, the kids didn't like them. So, I thought I'd caramelize them to top our french toast this morning. Questioning the protein content of my kids' breakfast, I added some scrambled eggs to the side. And, for those who weren't too sure about the "yucky bananas," I added some big, beautiful organic raspberries. (The boy is a big fan of these lately).

A drizzle of real maple syrup, a dusting of "snow," and we were ready for breakfast.

1 comment:

Scribbit said...

Oh my. Cinnamon toast brioche?? I'm in absolute heaven.